Skip to main content

What is Comprehensive and Collision Insurance?

Car crash dangerous accident on the road. SUV car crashing beside another one on the road.

Original article published by Auto-Owners Insurance

Often you hear people talking about “comp and collision” and they are referring to two separate insurance coverages, so what exactly do they cover?

Comprehensive Insurance helps pay for damages to your vehicle caused by factors other than an accidental collision, such as fire, vandalism, weather (hail, flooding, wind, lightning, etc.) impact with an animal etc. Here are some examples when Comprehensive insurance may apply:

  • Your vehicle is damaged with hail, lightning, flooding etc.
  • Vandalism such as tire slashing, breaking windows etc.
  • Deer or other animal hit
  • Tree falling on vehicle
  • Someone steals your vehicle

Comprehensive coverage does NOT cover all types of damage. For example Comprehensive Insurance does NOT cover:

  • Getting hit by another vehicle
  • Accidentally hitting another vehicle or object
  • Accidentally rolling your vehicle

These are typically covered by Collision insurance.

Collision insurance helps cover the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle when it is involved in an accidental collision with another vehicle or object. (some exclusions may apply) This coverage generally covers situations where you are the one being hit or where you accidentally hit another vehicle. Situations where your car is parked and hit by another vehicle or by an object on the ground is typically covered by Collision Insurance. Here are some examples:

  • A vehicle hitting your vehicle
  • Your vehicle accidentally hitting another vehicle
  • Accidentally backing your vehicle into a pole or wall or other object
  • Bottoming out your vehicle
  • Accidentally rolling your vehicle over an object or rolling your vehicle

The main difference between Collision and Comprehensive insurance is the “situation” that each covers.

Comprehensive covers your vehicle for situations outside of an accidental collision such as damage from weather (hail, flood, wind, lightning, etc.) vandalism, theft, fire and even damage caused by an animal.

Collision covers a loss if your vehicle hits an object or another vehicle or if another vehicle hits your vehicle.

Determining if you need both of these coverages depends on a few factors.

  • What is the age and condition of your vehicle?
  • Is your vehicle under a lease or loan?
  • How much will it cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is totaled?
  • Do you park your vehicle outside?
  • Do you have a long commute?
  • Do you have an inexperienced driver in the household who may be more likely to be involved in an accident?

Business and personal insurance in Washington County, WI can be provided to you by R. S. Semler & Associates Insurance, Inc. After a brief consultation with us, we are able to tailor policies specific to your unique situation because we represent numerous insurance companies and have local licensed agents on staff in Hartford, WI available to help you when you need it most. You can learn more about us and insurance at or call us at 800-414-5875.

Skip to content