R.S. Semler & Associates Insurance Inc.
“Insurance of All Kinds”

R.S. Semler & Associates Insurance Inc.
870 W. Sumner Street (Hwy. 60), P.O. Box 270108, Hartford, WI 53027

Hours: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
P: 262-673-3160 F: 262-673-9466

Click here to see where we are located.
The professional independent agents at R.S. Semler & Associates Insurance Inc. are local, community members who see you as a neighbor, not just a policy number.

• We help friends and neighbors manage their risk.

• Provide personal support and service.

• Get to know you and your situation so we can better answer your questions and suggest the best coverages for you.

R.S. Semler & Associates Insurance, Inc.

We have been providing peace-of-mind to Hartford and its surrounding counties for over 45 years. We represent only the most reputable and financially stable insurance companies, which gives our clients the protection they deserve. Our specialty is tailoring policies specific to your personal or commercial needs.

prev next

Motorcycle Insurance

When you’re out touring, the last thing you want to worry about is whether you have the right cycle insurance coverages. It doesn’t matter if you have a cruiser, a sport bike or a trike conversion, we have the policy for you. We can cover your possessions such as safety apparel, helmets, leathers, gloves, optional equipment like custom paint jobs, side cars, after-market parts and accessories, even towing and roadside assistance. Some insurance companies offer discounts if you take a motorcycle driving safety course, so be sure to mention that to us when you contact us for cycle insurance. We recommended you retain photos of the motorcycle and all receipts for custom parts and equipment.

Be sure to ask about our custom parts and accessory packages. This additional package can be purchased through some insurance companies and can provide you with coverages for equipment, devices, accessories, enhancements and changes, other than those that the manufacturer originally installs, that alter the appearance or performance of a motorcycle or off-road vehicle. This includes, but is not limited to: (varies by company)

• Any electronic equipment, antennas and other devices used exclusively to send or receive audio, visual or data signals or play back recorded media, other than those that the manufacturer originally installs, that are permanently installed on the motorcycle or off-road vehicle using bolts or brackets, including slide-out brackets

• Sidecars (when attached to the insured cycle)

• Trailers designed to be pulled behind a motorcycle or off-road vehicle (when attached to the insured cycle)

• Trike conversion kits

• Custom paint, custom plating or custom exhaust

• Mower blades, plow blades or winches

• Safety riding apparel, including helmets. (Coverage is provided in the event of a Collision loss. Theft is not covered.)


Let’s say your bike has a custom paint job, handlebars, levers, sissy bars and fenders that total $5,000. Because it exceeds the automatic $1,000 custom parts and equipment coverage given with comprehensive or collision coverage, you should purchase an additional $4,000 in CPE coverage to ensure the parts are covered if they're damaged in an accident. Please discuss all details with one of our agents to ensure adequate coverages are applied.

Bodily Injury and Property Damage

Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability covers your legal liability for a covered accident that involves injury to another person or damage to someone's property, up to the limit of liability you select.

If your limits are 15/30/10, this means:

• No more than $15,000 would be paid per person for Bodily Injury

• No more than $30,000 would be paid per accident for Bodily Injury

• No more than $10,000 would be paid per accident for Property Damage


You are at fault for an accident that injured two people and damaged another vehicle. The other driver's total medical bills were $5,000 and the other passenger's total medical bills were $3,000. The damage to the other vehicle was $8,000. All injuries and damages would be covered because they fall within the Liability limits you selected. Each person's injuries were less than $15,000, and the amount for all injuries was less than $30,000. The other vehicle's damage also was below the $10,000 Property Damage Liability limit.

On the other hand, if you are at fault for an accident and the medical bills from the injuries or property damage that you cause exceed your limits of liability, your personal assets may be at risk.

Comprehensive and Collision

Comprehensive and Collision coverage pays to repair or replace your motorcycle if it is stolen or damaged in an accident, regardless of who is at fault. For each coverage, you select a deductible that you pay out of pocket. Your insurance company pays for the remaining damage.

With Collision coverage, your insurance company pays for damage to your motorcycle when you collide with another vehicle or object. If you hit a car, a pole or another nonliving object, Collision coverage will apply.

With Comprehensive coverage, your insurance company pays for damage to your motorcycle caused by an event other than a collision, such as fire, theft or vandalism. If you hit an animal, or if your motorcycle is flooded or stolen, Comprehensive coverage will apply.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist

When the person at fault for an accident does not have insurance, Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury will cover injuries and damages you incur that the at-fault party is legally liable for, such as medical treatment and lost wages.

If your injury expenses exceed the at-fault party's Liability limits, you can use Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury coverage to pay for the amount not covered by the at-fault person's insurance. Similar to Uninsured Motorist coverage, Underinsured Motorist coverage is designed to cover the gap between the other person's Liability limits and the amount of your injury expenses, up to the Underinsured Motorist limits you select.

If the driver or owner of a vehicle is legally liable for an accident but does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance, you can use Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) to cover damage to your insured motorcycle, up to the limits you select.


A driver who has no insurance bumps your motorcycle from behind while you're sitting at a stop sign. The bike falls on your foot and fractures it, causing you to incur $6,000 in medical bills. Your bike has $2,000 in damage. Your Uninsured Motorist limits are $20,000/$40,000/$15,000, which means your injuries and the damage to your bike fall within these limits and will be covered.

Medical Payments

Medical Payments coverage pays the cost of necessary medical care you receive as a result of a motorcycle accident and can be used regardless of who is at fault. Medical payments coverage often is limited to medical treatment received within the first three years after an accident and is limited to a specific dollar amount.


You sustain $2,000 in injuries from a fall off your bike when you turned too quickly. You do not have any health insurance, which means you can use your MedPay coverage, up to the $1,000 limit you selected, for your injuries. You are required to pay the other $1,000 in medical bills.

Roadside Assistance

Roadside Assistance coverage provides towing to the nearest qualified repair facility and necessary labor at the place of breakdown when your motorcycle or off-road vehicle is disabled due to any of the following:

• Mechanical or electrical breakdown

• Dead battery

• Flat tire

• Lockout

• Insufficient supply of fuel, oil, water or other fluids

• Entrapment in snow, mud, water or sand within 100 feet of the roadway

This coverage extends to trailers being towed by a motorcycle. Immediate sign and drive assistance means you have no out-of-pocket expenses — just sign the receipt and you're back on your way. Roadside Assistance is available 24/7.

Please note:

This information is general information to help you understand the different types of coverages. These descriptions do not refer to any specific contract of insurance and they do not modify any definitions expressly stated in any contracts of insurance. Please speak to one of our licensed insurance representative and read your policy contract to fully understand your coverages.